Wednesday, September 23, 2009

the baboon and the religion ibelong to

The baboon and the religion I belong to.
An interesting thing happened in college today. In one of our humanities classes, an anecdote was shared by a teacher. She had asked a class that she was teaching to write a piece on the evolution of the baboons, as supposedly they shared several characteristics with us humans. This is what she said she noticed. There were several Christian students who narrated the Darwin’s theory of evolution was the popular “scientific” belief ,but concluded that they do not believe in it because they believe in a certain religion that taught them that God created the heavens and the earth and everything in it in seven days. And so, the teacher said that one ought not to be confined to a boxed idea, but be open to rational thought.
“Well said’ I thought and perfectly rational. But then is everything about our world rational? I can’t answer that question, because I do not know the answer. I am in the twilight of knowing and yet not knowing. Being in the twilight is firstly about asking questions, numerous questions. Answers will come when they will.
So then am I saying that Darwin can go to hell for all I care? Evolution is Darwin’s truth, it need not become mine. I will have to find my own. The truth to why I am here? And what made me be?
Neither will I tell you to make my truth yours. I can only tell my truth when I find it, but I cannot make you believe it. And that’s why this twilight is special. It helps you believe in what you are called to believe. And that’s what the story of the baboon’s evolution did to me. Made me wonder about that truth which is exclusively mine.

2 comments:

  1. "Darwin’s truth, it need not become mine. I will have to find my own"

    "Neither will I tell you to make my truth yours. I can only tell my truth when I find it, but I cannot make you believe it"

    Perfectly said :)

    ReplyDelete