Friday, September 25, 2009

Nabokov:God of the sexual revolution?

Nabokov: God of the sexual revolution?
“…and she was mine…Naked, except for one sock and her charm bracelet…spread-eagled on the bed…”, writes Nabokov, in his Lolita. It’s the story of forty year old man, profusely “in love” with his twelve year old stepdaughter. Our film studies professor, with the lines of his face dancing in wonder and enthusiasm, proceeded to tell us the story of Nabakov’s Lolita. We gasped in disbelief (at least I did) at the ease and fervor at which he was talking about the genius of Nabokov’s “exceptionally well written”novel.My ethics seemed to toss me into terrible misgivings about the credibility of my teacher and I thought to my self “what has the darn world come to?”. Here we are sitting in a classroom talking about a repulsively psychotic pervert seducing his step child and talking about it like it was “wonder” that saved the world.
After awhile I had to stop myself and take back every derogatory word I ever thought, about my lecturer and the genius of a man “Nabokov”.
Apart from the novel being a true literary wonder, it began to shape itself to me as a book of profound truth and morality.Thats the power of binaries. Sometimes it is only profound pain that drives you to seek bliss. The experience of success is heightened in repeated failure. Therefore we realize the definition of one binary by experiencing the other.
Therefore Lolita to me became as lofty as the Bibles Song of Solomon. The clarity that Lolita offers to its readers is stark and so is its reality. “I have differentiated between, love and lust” says Nabokov, and by doing so he is telling us that such a lustful obsession will meet a fitting an end as that which the main characters of Lolita meet.
That is paradox of life, someone said, I don’t recollect who, “you find out the truth, by submerging yourself in lies”. And that’s what Lolita did to me; I saw the purity of it all from the repulsion that it evoked. Such books are magical, because they seek evolved souls to understand them, to unravel the secrets of truth that are otherwise hard to find. When you get hold of Lolita, do not open it with out putting on the spectacles of discernment. The book deserves it.

No comments:

Post a Comment